Like other mechanical keyboards, the Razer keyboard can accumulate a lot of dust. However, due to the backlight feature on Razer keyboards, dirt accumulation is very noticeable while using. The collected dirt not only looks terrible, but it also slows down your typing.
Therefore, how to clean a Razer keyboard? Your Razer keyboard can be cleaned in a variety of ways. But in every case, the keyboard must first be unplugged before the keycaps are removed. Continue reading to learn the proper and safest way to clean a Razer keyboard.
Step-by-Step Guide to Clean a Razer Keyboard Safely
Cleaning your keyboard is extremely important for multiple reasons. You can prevent the growth of germs and reduce harmful bacteria by regularly cleaning your keyboard. Additionally, taking care of your gaming keyboard will extend its lifespan. Lastly, cleaning can improve durability and performance because too much debris can interfere with switches’ ability to connect after a key is pressed.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started with the cleaning process.
- A flat and clean space to work
- Two microfiber cloths to wipe the keyboard surface (lint-free, if possible)
- Keycap remover to detach keycaps
- A flathead screwdriver to pull larger keys
- Rubbing alcohol to kill germs (isopropyl alcohol)
- A brush to clean the corners of the switches
- A bunch of cotton swabs to clean the areas inaccessible to the brush
- A mixture of soap and water
- Suitable switch lubricant (grease-based or oil-based)
- Tweezers to pick up food debris and hair
- Compressed air can to blow dirt and dry out the wet areas
- Cleaning gel to take off tough dirt
Step 1: Find a Clean and Flat Space
Make sure you have a clean workspace before starting to clean your keyboard. You can choose a kitchen table or computer desk. Firstly, clean the area with a vacuum, followed by wiping it down with a damp cloth.
Step 2: Unplug Your Keyboard
Regardless of whether it is water-resistant or not, you must unplug your keyboard from your gaming PC or laptop. Generally, this is because cleaning involves a lot of liquids, which can damage PCBs. Therefore, it is advisable to disconnect all cables for further safety. Plugging in a cable can shock you if the ports have isopropyl alcohol or water residue on them. Therefore, make sure to unplug every other cable and cord.
If you own a wireless Razer keyboard, remove its battery and keep it in a safe place.
Step 3: Wipe the Dust off the Keyboard
- Using a microfiber cloth, start cleaning the dust residues around the keys.
- If you come across any oil fingerprints or hard stains, firmly wipe them away with another microfiber cloth.
- Turn your keyboard upside-down and shake it to let any dirt and debris fall out.
- Use a compressed air can if the debris won’t come out easily. Blow underneath the keycaps to remove any dust or residue.
- If you find hair strands under keycaps, there may be a complete dirt buildup. In such cases, remove it with a cleaning gel.
Step 4: Remove All Keycaps
As you clean the top of your keyboard, you’ll notice that it appears glossy. However, this doesn’t indicate that your keyboard is good to go.
To clean the interior of your keyboard, you will need to do a thorough cleaning process.
Following this method, pull out every keycap.
- Take a snapshot of your keyboard.
- Use a keycap puller to take off keycaps. Place the puller’s first side against the key’s left side and its last side against the key’s right.
- Now applying slight pressure, pull out the keycap.
- Using a flat-head screwdriver, do the same with other keycaps to remove them.
- Pull out longer keys, such as the spacebar or shift, slightly upward, and then use a screwdriver to slide the stabilizer.
- Finally, remove the keycap and do the same with other longer keys.
Step 5: Immerse Keycaps in Soap Mixture
- Make a mixture of soap and warm water using any handwash, body wash, or detergent. However, detergent or dish wash will be ideal since it can quickly clean the dirt residues.
- Next, put all keycaps in the mixture and leave for an hour.
- Remove, lightly wash the keycaps and discard the mixture.
- Leave to dry. You can also use compressed air to dry quickly.
Step 6: Clean the Internal Part of the Keyboard
- Use a cleaning brush to clean the dust from the switches.
- Use a cotton swab for the corners of the switch.
- If you see hair strands, pick them out using tweezers or blow them out using compressed air.
- In case of tough stains, dip microfiber cloth in rubbing alcohol to clean the surface of the keyboard including the corners of the switches.
Remember not to use too much water on the switches.
Step 7: Reconnect Keycaps
- Place the keycap in the exact position using your hand.
- Press down the keycap to make it meet the connectors.
- Tap it multiple times to ensure the key is fixed properly.
Regardless of its build type, every keyboard requires proper care by cleaning. However, Razer keyboards require even more regular cleaning because the dust accumulation on them is easily visible.
Using this step-by-step guide, you can safely clean your Razer keyboard and enjoy a better typing experience.